Guest Post by David Berman: Resources from the Webinar “Solving Web Accessibility: Leaving No One Behind”
Thank you again to everyone who was involved in our recent webinar with 3Play Media. I was thrilled that so many professionals found the time to join us and participate! If you missed the accessibility webinar, don’t fret: catch it here!
We had a huge response from the webinar, and are thankful for all the positive feedback, including a bunch of people who took me up on the offer to beta test our Berman Accessibility Ribbon for Word! This new add-on for Microsoft Word for Windows 2010 and 2013 makes it easier for your team to create and maintain accessible Word files. (We welcome more testers: get yours here!)
We also had a bunch of requests for a list of all resources I mentioned during the event. So, we’ve assembled that list… resources ranging from those goggles I was wearing at the start of the show to lots of nerdy details about assistive technologies, accessibility guidelines, and testing tools.
- Zimmerman Low Vision Simulation Kit by Pittsburgh’s Dr. George J. Zimmerman
- Regulations on the universal design of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
- Cambridge Simulation Glasses
- Cambridge Simulation Gloves
- Impairment Simulator Software
- Best source in Canada for JAWS software and a great source for many other assistive technologies
- Filter Keys for Windows
- Slow Keys for MacOS
- Tobii EyeMobile for Windows tablet
- Braille displays for MacOS
- Braille displays for iOS
- Braille commands for VoiceOver navigation from a braille display
- English to Braille online translator
- JAWS for Windows
- NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA)
- Characters as Read by JAWS and Window-Eyes
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 by WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative)
- Guidance on Applying WCAG 2.0 to Non-Web Information and Communications Technologies (WCAG2ICT)
- WebAIM’s WCAG 2.0 Checklist
- Integrated Accessibility Standards (Ontario Regulation 191/11, April 2011)
- WCAG2 technique PDF1
- Free PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC 2)
Thank you to Kelsey Voy for helping pull our list together. Want way more resource links? Consider our complete manuals that cover every aspect of every standard for Web, documents, mobile, touch, distance learning.
See you at our next webinar!
Author: David Berman (@davidberman)
David Berman, FGDC, RGD., is a Canadian designer and thought leader. David is a special advisor to the United Nations on how to use accessible design to fulfill the Millennium Development Goals. He is Sustainability Chair of Icograda (the world body for communication design), a Fellow of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada, and Ethics Chair for graphic design in Canada. As an expert speaker, he has travelled to over 30 countries. Read the first 40 pages of his book Do Good Design, free, which is available in English, Chinese, Indonesian, and Korean, Malay, and soon Spanish!