Home

Plans & Pricing Get Started Login

US DOT Officially Requires Closed Captioning on Airport TVs

9 Responses to US DOT Officially Requires Closed Captioning on Airport TVs

1. Kudos for this ruling. Well done. The next step is to require hearing induction loops for airports just like around the world such as in the UK, Netherlands, Turkey, Israel, Hong Kong, Poland and even MI to name but a few.

Janice S. Lintz, CEO, Hearing Access & Innovations

2. larry ketchem says:

this great but when are they going to push the requirements for the blind and discriptive video

3. Sandra says:

I am so glad that they have the caption on the Airport TV. I am a Deaf person and I didn’t know what they were saying on the TV. Thank God for answered Prayers.

4. Frank says:

This only cover monitors that have audio. Not, as an example, Flight Information Display (FID) monitors – as are shown in this sites photo.

• Emily Griffin says:

That’s right, Frank. Captions are needed to convey audio messages, and the FID monitors already display necessary information by text. The change in policy is for any video display — including televisions in gates — to display closed captioning.

5. Louis Schwarz says:

Glad to hear that. However, the heading is incorrect. It should say open captioning because it show captions at ALL times.

• Emily Griffin says:

Ah, you raise an interesting point, Louis, but here’s why it’s not open captioning: open captions are captions that are burned into the video footage permanently. Closed captions can be toggled on and off and are contained in a file independent of the video footage. The new rule requires airport televisions to have the closed captioning toggled on, but it doesn’t require open captions in the footage itself. For example, if CNN is playing on a gate TV, closed captions must be turned on. But the airport doesn’t need to alter the footage to permanently link the captions with the video file — nor would that be feasible for live coverage. For pre-recorded instructional video, like airport security messages, a video with open captions would also be acceptable to comply.

6. Lisa Richards says:

I am very glad that they have the caption on all airport TVs anywhere. That is good!!! That is much better.

I am deaf. I share you about my experience two years ago. At Las Vegas McCarran Airport, there was no information flight status signals next to the gates. I asked Southwest Airlines Agent male “Is this gate for my flight to SLC right?” He looked at my ticket and was readless (careless). He shook his head yes and said wait. After he announced, he came to get me and sent me to the flight without scan my ticket. I went down the jetbridge. He scanned my ticket, saw word “ERROR” with red border on the computer screen, realized it was wrong flight, and ran to get me back to the gate area. He made me stay, cannot communicate, refused to write down and tell me why. I watched the passengers entered. I was upset, anxiety, panic and thought I cannot fly to SLC. I paced and was wondered what I do…I finally saw information flight signal at the front desk (not at the gate), realized it was wrong flight, which it was going to fly to Dallas. Also, I realized the time was different (one hour early). Oh, I understood. I waited for one more hour. I finally flew to SLC.

I was upset at the agent because he was readless and sent me to the wrong flight. Also I was upset at the airport…no information flight signal at the gate (Most airports…all gates has flight signs).

I reported to Southwest Airlines, FAA and McCarren Airport.