Home

Plans & Pricing Get Started Login

Introducing the 2017 State of Captioning Annual Report

  • Picture of someone's hand holding their mobile phone on a bus. The screen shows the cover page of the 2017 State of Captioning report

    Screens are everywhere these days and they’re streaming video like never before.

    Online video, especially mobile video and autoplay video, has come to dominate more traditional forms of web content in popularity, such as images and text, and that means video captioning needs are steadily on the rise.

    In times like these, when our digital landscape is changing, it helps to know how others are succeeding and adapting.

    That’s why 3Play Media is happy to introduce: the 2017 State of Captioning!

    What is the State of Captioning?

    The State of Captioning is a recurring, annual report meant to capture a snapshot of how organizations use, perceive, and perform video captioning.

    Over time, we hope to document changes in captioning trends in order to benefit content marketers, web accessibility advocates, administrators, and other interested stakeholders.

    The survey on which the data is based was taken by over 1,400 respondents representing multiple industries including Media & Entertainment, Higher Education, Government, Enterprise, and much more.

    Captioning Needs Are on the Rise

    Column Chart showing how survey respondents foresee their captioning changes increasing next year: 1% say decreasing; 25% say staying the same; 36% say increasing moderately; 38% say increasing significantly. In total, 74% of respondents see their captioning needs increasing next year.

    Video captioning is becoming a bigger industry every year as more and more organizations see the benefits of captioning video, and as web accessibility requirements call for more video content that is accessible to the Deaf and hard of hearing.

    According to our survey results, 74% of respondents foresee their captioning needs increasing “moderately” or “significantly” over the coming year.

    Only 1% of respondents foresee their captioning needs decreasing.

    To learn more about trends in video captioning including how organizations use video, what captioning budgets look like, and how organizations get their captions, download the 2017 State of Captioning report below:

    2017 State of Captioning: Keep up to date with the latest trends in video captioning. Download the free report here.

2 Responses to Introducing the 2017 State of Captioning Annual Report

  1. Would you say there’s a connection between video captioning and business etiquette?

    • Hi, Grant. If you are asking whether video captioning applies to an organization’s public relations, I would argue yes. If you want to ensure that your public-facing video content does not exclude the nearly 48 million Americans (or the 360 million people worldwide) who have at least some degree of hearing loss, then you should caption your video content.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *