Arizona State Web Accessibility Laws
Updated: June 3, 2019
Arizona observes a state web accessibility policy inspired by federal disability law, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Its stated purpose: “To establish a statewide policy that lowers the technical barriers to accessibility on Arizona Web sites for persons with disabilities.”
The statewide policy created by the Arizona Department of Administration – Arizona Strategic Enterprise Technology Office (ADOA-ASET) applies to all websites for public state offices, branches, and departments — or institutions receiving state funding. This includes Arizona state colleges and universities, except for:
- Universities under the jurisdiction of the board of regents
- Community colleges under their respective jurisdictions and the legislative or judicial branches
The policy mandates accessible web design practices such as:
- Providing adequate color contrast for color-blind or low-vision users
- Including Alt text to describe images and graphs
- Using proper HTML markup for lists and tables
- Offering downloadable PDF files and text-only versions of web content
- Including a transcript for audio content and closed captions for videos and video clips
- Accessible form labels
- Making all elements keyboard accessible
Stay up to date!
Keep me informed about upcoming legal requirements in Arizona
Thanks for your interest. We’ll keep you informed!
Learn About Other U.S. State Accessibility Laws
Click on the map below to learn more about captioning and web accessibility laws in other states.
Captioning Laws for TV and Movies
Closed captioning laws for TV and movies were established in order to make media accessible to viewers with hearing loss. For the entertainment industry specifically, laws and standards like the ADA, the CVAA, and the FCC serve as a guideline for achieving…
How to Create Accessible Cooking Videos
Cooking videos are a cook’s best friend and a great way for content creators to showcase the culinary arts. Whether you’re a food newbie or a cuisine connoisseur, there’s always something new to learn. Want to sharpen your knife skills? There’s a…
Captioning and Transcription for TV and Movies
Whether it’s streaming online or broadcasting on a television set, TV programs and movies are incredibly popular. The way we consume media and entertainment has revolutionized through the rise of the internet, giving more people access like never before. However, without accessibility,…