The Best Way to Add Closed Captions to Vimeo Videos: 3Play Media Integration
Updated: January 4, 2018
There’s a new way to caption Vimeo videos that’s easier than ever before.
We’re thrilled to announce a seamless new integration between Vimeo and professional captioning company 3Play Media.
About the Vimeo Captioning Integration
Vimeo is a popular alternative to YouTube for free, simple video publishing on the web. Vimeo boasts 35 million registered users, 500,000 of which are Pro members.
Whether you have a Basic, Plus, or Pro Vimeo account, you can now streamline your video captioning workflow.
For Basic Vimeo accounts, a feed of your Vimeo videos will display in your 3Play Media account, where you can submit files for captioning.
If you have a Vimeo Plus or Pro account, you can submit videos for captioning directly from your Vimeo account using albums.
Either way, 3Play Media will automatically post the captions back to your Vimeo videos when they are complete.
How the Vimeo Captioning Integration Works
Watch this short tutorial video or read on for step-by-step instructions on setting up your Vimeo captioning integration.
Note: this works for Vimeo Plus or Pro accounts.
- Log in to your 3Play Media account. From the Upload tab, select Linked Account.
- Click Add New Linked Account, and select the Vimeo icon [ ].
- Log in with your Vimeo email and password, then check the boxes to allow 3Play Media to access your account.
- You’ll see a feed of your Vimeo videos in your 3Play Media account. Click Settings to turn Postback Data and Tag Based Auto Upload on.
- You can select videos for captioning by clicking Upload. Select turnaround options, and place your order. Your captions will post back to your Vimeo videos when they’re finished processing.
- If you have a Vimeo Plus or Pro account, you can select videos for captioning directly from your Vimeo account using albums. To create an album, click the smiley face in the top right of your Vimeo account. Then click Collections.
- Select Create New Album, and create albums for each of the turnaround options you want. For example, “3play” will submit your captions for our standard four-day turnaround. You can add a password to your album so it isn’t visible to the public.
- To submit a video for captioning, select your video and click Settings. Go to Collections, and select the album you want to add your video to. Then click Save. The captions will post directly back to your Vimeo videos when they’re finished processing.
Introducing the Expiring Editing Link!
We are so excited to announce the Expiring Editing Link! Now you can give non-3Play users access to specific files, without having to give them your 3Play username and password. What is the Expiring Editing Link? The Expiring Editing Link (EEL) is…
Adding Videos with Captions and Transcripts to LMS Platforms
Accessibility Tools in LMS Learning management systems (LMS) usually don’t allow users to publish videos with captions, interactive transcripts, or audio description. This poses a challenge, especially in higher education and eLearning, as these features make content accessible and have many benefits…
[PRODUCT UPDATE] Audio Description Version Two Is Here!
It’s been several months since we first released audio description, and we have some exciting updates! We’ve released an extended audio description option and 3Play’s Recommendation feature. In addition, we’ve made updates to the editing interface, our audio description plugin, and API…