Captioning and Transcription for Legal Content
Captioning and transcription in legal content are critical for accessibility, accurate/fair procedures, and job functionality.
Transcription is required for various parts of the legal process and should be done in a timely and accurate manner. Transcripts are important for record keeping and proper trial procedures. They also help to cut overhead costs and improve workflows.
Deaf and hard of hearing individuals often face communication barriers within the legal system. To alleviate these barriers, transcribing depositions, court proceedings, and other legal content is crucial.
For legal professionals, transcripts aid in job functionality. Transcripts provide a text version of the audio making the content searchable and easy to translate into other languages, if necessary.
While traditional courtroom transcription is done by stenographers, more courts around the country are instead transcribing digital recordings. Using a captioning and transcription vendor will help ensure that these transcripts are completed in a timely, accurate, and secure manner.
What is important for legal content?
- Legal Compliance: Legal content falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act.
- Turnaround: Due to the timely nature of the legal system, turnaround is important for legal content. Delays in transcription can cause delays in the courtroom.
- Accuracy: Correct terminology is critical in legal content. Lack of proper spelling or punctuation can easily misinform the reader.
- Security: Due to the sensitive and confidential nature of legal content, finding a secure solution is important for transcription in the justice system.
What are common challenges?
- Difficult Content: Accuracy is critical in legal content. A great deal of the terminology used can be difficult to transcribe. Furthermore, correct representation of the facts are critical for fair and factual trials. Finding a solution that promises 99% accuracy and allows a user to upload cheat sheets can help mitigate this challenge.
- Budget: Budgets within the legal system can vary; that’s why finding a captioning and transcription solution that’s cost-effective – without sacrificing quality – can help overcome this challenge. Over the years, budget cuts have caused courts around the United States to cut back on courtroom stenographers. Using a captioning vendor to transcribe recordings of trials can help alleviate the financial burden and ensure proper procedures are still in place.
- Deadline Compliance: As mentioned, turnaround is important for transcription jobs in the legal industry; Delays in trial transcriptions have caused delays in numerous cases around the country. Finding a captioning vendor that can meet these strict deadlines can sometimes be an obstacle. Legal organizations must find a vendor that offers multiple turnaround options with a strict turnaround SLAs to overcome this challenge.
- Scalability: On a daily basis, courtrooms are producing a lot of audio content. As a result, scalability can be a challenge. Hiring a captioning vendor can help alleviate and combat the challenge of finding sufficient stenographers. Finding a captioning solution that can handle large quantities of content, without sacrificing quality and deadline compliance, will also ease this obstacle.
- Workflow: Over the last couple of years, delays in the transcription process have hurt trial proceedings. Creating effective workflows to ensure that all trials are properly transcribed has posed to be a challenge for both stenographers and for the transcription of digital recordings. Many digital recordings are lost and never transcribed. To combat this, finding a captioning vendor that can help simplify the workflow through integrations, APIs, and an easy-to-use account system will help alleviate this challenge.
What vendor features are most important for legal content?
- Captioning and Transcription: With 3Play Media, you get both a caption and transcript file. We guarantee 99% accuracy, with a measured accuracy rate of 99.6%. We have strict turnaround SLAs in place to ensure you meet your deadlines. In addition, we offer a range of free tools so you can maximize how you use your captions and transcripts.
- Security: At 3Play Media, we have strict security policies in place to protect your content. We make sure all your data is encrypted and inaccessible to other customers and the public. In addition, all our staff members and transcribers have signed confidentiality agreements and are trained on the best practices for security and privacy.
- Speaker IDs: 3Play allows users to determine how they want to identify the speakers in an audio. Speaker identifications make it easier for the user to determine who is speaking.
- Interactive Transcript: The interactive transcript makes it easier for the viewer to follow along with the audio of a content. It also makes it easy for the viewer to search within a transcript for specific keywords. The transcript will highlight all the places in the video/audio where the keyword appears; The user can then jump to those particular spots in the audio.
- Other Language Captioning: 3Play Media offers captioning and transcription for more than 20 languages, including Spanish, French, and German.
- Transcript Alignment: 3Play Media lets you upload your existing transcript for alignment. We’ll create the timecodes, so you don’t have to.
- Translation: 3Play Media offers translation services in more than 40 languages.
- Cheat Sheets: With 3Play Media, you can upload a cheat sheet with correct terminology and specifications for the transcriber to follow.
- Verbatim Transcription: Legal transcripts should be an unedited version of everything that was said in the courtroom. With 3Play Media, the user can select this as a preference.
Audio Description for Governments
Government agencies use video to inform the public about elections, new policies, or upcoming programs. It allows the government to create a more transparent and immediate dialogue with citizens. Uses of video for government range from public meeting recordings, public service announcements,…
How to Select an Audio Description Vendor
Audio description is an accommodation for blind and low vision viewers that narrates the crucial visual information of a program. Audio description is meant to provide information on visual content that is considered essential to the comprehension of the program. Standard audio…
The Best Online Video Players for Audio Description
From the beginning, one of the challenges with implementing audio description (AD) is player support. Most browsers and video players do not support the playing of description in the same way that they support captions. However, there are a few video players…