Arizona State Web Accessibility Laws
Updated: June 3, 2019
Arizona observes a state web accessibility policy inspired by federal disability law, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Its stated purpose: “To establish a statewide policy that lowers the technical barriers to accessibility on Arizona Web sites for persons with disabilities.”
The statewide policy created by the Arizona Department of Administration – Arizona Strategic Enterprise Technology Office (ADOA-ASET) applies to all websites for public state offices, branches, and departments — or institutions receiving state funding. This includes Arizona state colleges and universities, except for:
- Universities under the jurisdiction of the board of regents
- Community colleges under their respective jurisdictions and the legislative or judicial branches
The policy mandates accessible web design practices such as:
- Providing adequate color contrast for color-blind or low-vision users
- Including Alt text to describe images and graphs
- Using proper HTML markup for lists and tables
- Offering downloadable PDF files and text-only versions of web content
- Including a transcript for audio content and closed captions for videos and video clips
- Accessible form labels
- Making all elements keyboard accessible
Stay up to date!
Keep me informed about upcoming legal requirements in Arizona
Thanks for your interest. We’ll keep you informed!
Learn About Other U.S. State Accessibility Laws
Click on the map below to learn more about captioning and web accessibility laws in other states.
The Influencer’s Guide to Social Media Accessibility
Since its inception, social media has taken the world by storm. According to Hootsuite, there are more than 4.48 billion social media users worldwide – a little more than half of the global population. As our society relies more on digital technology,…
The Ultimate Guide to Caption and Description Formats for Popular Video Players
Ever wondered what type of caption & audio description formats your video player will require? Here, we’ll break down the most popular video players and the formats they require to make video accessible. Caption Formats There are plenty of caption formats out…
Squid Game’s Subtitles: When Meaning Gets Lost in Translation
Squid Game, a shocking dystopian thriller about class and capitalism in Korea, is on track to become Netflix’s most-watched show of all time. Viewers in hundreds of countries are binge-watching the Korean-language drama while reading subtitles—a testament to Parasite director Bong Joon-ho’s…