Captioning and Transcription for Online Video Content
Updated: February 18, 2020
More video content is uploaded to the web in one month than TV has created in three decades. By 2019, 80% of the world’s internet traffic will be video. How does any single video stand out in the sea of this much content? Making your videos accessible, searchable, and engaging can help!
With 20% of Americans dealing with hearing loss of some degree (and 60% of those individuals in the workforce or an educational setting), captions and transcripts are critical in making this exorbitant amount of online video accessible. That’s not all, though! Captions and transcripts also help to make your videos searchable and more engaging. There may still be a lot of content out there, but captions and transcripts can help your content stand out.
What is important to online video content publishers?
- SEO: Online video has become a major force in many companies’ marketing and content strategies. Companies want their online videos to show up in search results when they are related to a target keyword, but with all the content out there, it’s difficult to gain exposure amongst the noise. Google can’t watch a video, so the only information it can crawl is the text associated with your video. Transcripts allow search engines to crawl the full text of your file so that is can be properly indexed, and found by the right audience.
- Views & Engagement: Videos with captions have been linked to higher views. Additionally, students and other viewers have expressed that captions and transcripts enhance their learning experience and keep them more engaged. Interactive transcripts encourage active engagement with the video as it plays, making it easy for the viewer to read along, find a specific point, or skip ahead.
- Workflow Optimization: Video publishing can be a tedious and resource-intensive task. There are typically many projects going on at once, and creating video has many different aspects to keep in mind. Adding captions to your videos should be an easy step in your video publishing workflow. A smooth and seamless captioning workflow can make your overall video publishing experience that much easier and efficient.
- Accessibility Compliance: Federal laws in the United States require equal access to most publicly available web content for people with disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a broad, anti-discrimination law for people with disabilities. Titles II and III of the ADA affect web accessibility and closed captioning. Lawsuits over inaccessible websites and web content are driving companies to proactively ensure their videos include closed captions or transcripts for deaf and hard of hearing people.
What are the common challenges for online video content publishers?
- Keep Within Budget: The saying goes, “you get what you pay for” and this is not far from the truth. Adding high quality captions and transcripts can often be a strain on a company’s budget. Finding a method of adding quality captions for an affordable price point is a common challenge, but adding captions proactively can save you from big expenses down the road.
- Global Audience: We live in a global and diverse world, where many content producers need and want their videos to reach a wide audience. Creating captions is helpful for those who are deaf or hard of hearing, but in order to make them globally accessible translations and subtitles must also be used.
What captioning and transcription vendor features are important to online video content publishers?
- SEO Embed: This plugin ensures you get the most out of your videos and transcripts. The all-knowing Google can’t watch videos (yet) so the transcript, thumbnail, title, and description are critical in helping search engines correctly index videos on your site. This plugin is designed to automatically boost the SEO of your video by utilizing linked data to help drive traffic to your site.
- Competitive Pricing: Our average measured accuracy is 99.6%, and we guarantee over 99%. Wondering how we can keep our prices down and guarantee such a high accuracy rate? Our patent-pending process combines speech recognition technology with two levels of human editing and multiple turnaround options to provide high-quality captions at a lower price point than traditional media captioners.
- Integrations with Online Video Players: We want your captioning workflow to be as simple as possible. That’s why we offer push-button simplicity for most major video players, platforms, and lecture capture systems. If we don’t already have a solution for the video player used by your team, have no fear – we offer flexible APIs to build your own customized workflow. Wow!
- Translation: Adding subtitles to your videos can make your videos even more accessible and help you reach a wider audience. Our translation services allow you to seamlessly translate your captions into almost any language with the click of a button, so you don’t need to look elsewhere to translate your videos.
- Interactive Transcript: If your team runs an ongoing series of content like webinars or podcasts, associating an interactive transcript with a video gives people more of an opportunity to engage with your content. Users can keyword search the audio and navigate to any point in the video where that word is spoken. Adding a transcript to your page also comes with inherent SEO benefits and ensures your content is accessible to people with hearing loss.
- Hands On, Dedicated Support: At 3Play Media you’re not alone! You will have direct contact with an assigned Account Manager and full access to our robust Knowledge Base, including support documentation, how-to guides, and video tutorials.
Online Video Content Publishers Who Use 3Play Media
Are you producing or publishing online video content? Get started captioning today!
How to Scale Live Closed Captioning: 6 Top Tips
As live video content continues to grow in popularity, most video & social media platforms have enabled live streaming features due to the sheer number of people tuning into live streams. In 2019 alone, internet users watched a staggering 1.1 billion hours of…
Xbox Accessibility: The Importance of “Day One” Inclusive Design
There are an estimated 400 million gamers with disabilities on the planet. For Xbox, accessibility is at the core of what they do. They are committed to creating a gaming experience that everyone can enjoy, including the 400 million individuals mentioned above.…
Top 5 Use Cases for Live Captioning
Many brands and organizations are turning to live videos to engage with their audience, especially when they can’t connect in person. For viewers with competing priorities, live video content provides a great deal of flexibility – as long as there’s a device…