Captions and Subtitles with Panopto
Panopto is an all-in-one video platform and lecture capture system that allows you to record screen captures and video, webcast live over the Internet, and manage a centralized video library. Panopto recordings and webcasts are automatically uploaded into a video content management system where they can be edited, analyzed, searched and shared. This article provides step by step instructions to add closed captions or subtitles to your Panopto sessions.
Step 1 – Download Your Panopto Session
1. Log into Panopto. 2. Navigate to the folder containing the session that needs to be captioned and click the Settings
3. Select the Outputs
tab and click Download MP3
. Save the audio recording to your computer.
Step 2 – Submit the Panopto Recording for Captioning
1. Log into your 3Play Media account. 2. Upload
the Panopto recording and select the processing turnaround time
captions file and save it to your computer.
Step 3 – Upload Captions to Panopto
1. From your Panopto account, select the System
tab in the bottom of the left column. Select the Settings
tab. Make sure that TranscriptUploadEnabled
is set to True
. This allows you to upload a captions file to a session.
2. Navigate to the folder containing the session that needs to be captioned and click the Settings
icon. 3. Select the Streams
tab and click the Choose File
button under the Upload Transcript
section. 4. Select the DFXP
file that you downloaded in the previous step and click the Upload Transcript
button. 5. You will get a confirmation that your captions were successfully uploaded. Play the session to confirm that the captions are displaying correctly.
How to Edit Panopto Captions
1. From the Panopto portal, navigate to the folder containing the session that needs to be edited and click the Settings
icon. 2. Select the Captions
tab. Here you can manually type in captions or edit existing captions. To do this, click on the captions tab and type in the text box. Press Enter
to complete. Your edited captions will be visible in the viewer as soon as you save.