Captions and subtitles with Blip.tv
Note: Blip.tv was shut down in July, 2015.
This how-to guide instructs how to quickly add closed captions or subtitles to your blip.tv videos. The basic process is to submit your video file to 3Play Media for captioning, then upload a SRT file to your blip.tv account. You can also create a blip.tv accessible player with a CC button that can be embedded on other sites.
Step 1 – Submit Your Video File for Captioning
1. Log into your 3Play Media account.
2. If you have access to the source video file then select Upload, specify the turnaround requirement, and click Start Uploading.
3. If you don’t have the video file handy, you can transfer the file directly from blip.tv to 3Play Media. Log into your blip.tv account, select the episode to be captioned, and copy the media source link. Then on the 3Play Media upload page select Upload Links, paste the link, select the turnaround requirement, and click Upload Links.
4. You will receive an email alert when the captions file is ready for use.
Step 2 - Download Your Captions File
1. From your 3Play Media account, navigate to My Files. Click the download link beside the appropriate file and select SRT.
2. Unzip the file after it downloads.
Step 3 – Upload Your Captions File to Blip.tv
1. Select the episode to be captioned and click Edit > Add Captions > Choose File. Select the SRT file that you downloaded in Step 2.
2. Click Save all changes.
3. Your closed captions will automatically show up on the blip.tv website. Viewers can toggle the captions on/off by pressing the CC button on the player. However, If you plan to embed a blip.tv player on another website, please follow the instructions below.
How To Set Up Closed Captions on an Embedded Blip.tv Player
1. From your blip.tv dashboard, select Players > Add custom player.
2. Enter a name for the new player, like “Accessible Player”.
3. Under Advanced settings, enter parameter "captions_on" and set the value to "true". Click the plus button to add it.
4. Click Save Settings.
5. When you embed your episode on your site, make sure to select the accessible player you just created.