Searchable Closed Captions or Subtitles with Desire2Learn (D2L) Capture
Desire2Learn Capture allows video presentations to be created, edited, and viewed within the D2L Learning Environment and shared in courses or on external websites and content management systems. D2L Capture often requires captioning when used for lecture capture, distance learning, or blended learning. This article provides step by step instructions on how to add searchable closed captions to presentations recorded with Desire2Learn (D2L) Capture. It also shows how to create a self-contained captioned video that can be distributed as a single file and made viewable offline with iTunes, QuickTime, or any mobile devices, including iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Step 1 - Get the URL link for the Presentation to Be Captioned
1. Log into your D2L Capture portal and click Admin in the upper right.
2. From the Manage Supported Platforms window, make sure that MP4 encoding is enabled for your presentations. You can enable MP4 encoding for all presentations or a single presentation.
3. Click Manage Presentations under the On-Demand heading in the left menu.
4. Click on the presentation that you want to submit for captioning.
5. Right-click on Download (MP4 / 480P) and select Copy Link Location
Note that you can download the Desire2Learn MP4 file to your computer by selecting the Save As option. This may be necessary to publish your presentation on YouTube, Vimeo, or other video platforms. Also, it may be necessary to upload the MP4 file to 3Play Media for captioning as an alternative to the link method described here For additional details, read the support article on uploading files from your computer.
Step 2 - Submit Your D2L Presentation for Captioning
The steps below enable 3Play Media to import your presentation directly from Desire2Learn.
1. Log into your 3Play Media account.
2. From the Upload menu, select Upload Links.
3. Paste the URL link captured in the previous step.
4. Click Upload and follow the on-screen prompts to specify turnaround and other options. For additional details, read the support article on uploading files using links.
5. You will receive an email notification when your captions are ready.
6. From the My Files page, select the presentation, click Request Download, and select the SRT format. Save the captions file to your computer.
Step 3 – Add Captions to Your D2L Presentation
1. Go back to D2L and select the presentation to be captioned.
2. Right-click on the CC icon and upload the SRT captions file that you downloaded in the previous step.
Note that the CC+ icon on the left is to manually add captions. The icon on the right is to upload a SRT file.
The D2L Capture player allows users to search within the presentation across all searchable content, including chapter names and captions that have been added and are enabled.
How To Create a Self-Contained Captioned Presentation for Offline Viewing
1. From your 3Play Media account, select My Files from the top of the page.
2. Select your D2L presentation, and from the Options menu select Order Caption Encoding.
3. The caption encoding process may take up to 4 hours. Upon completion, you will receive an email notification with a link to download the captioned video.