The State of Closed Captioning in Higher Education
How are schools handling captions? How do captions improve learning for college students? Where does the budget come from? To what extent is captioning motivated by fear of litigation?
Presenting on the results from two national research studies and a survey on closed captioning in higher education, Katie Linder from Oregon State University Ecampus Research Unit and Lily Bond from 3Play Media will look at the current state of closed captioning in 2017 at colleges and universities across the US.
Together, these surveys provide a clearer picture of the benefits, solutions, complications, and direction of closed captioning in higher education.
This presentation will cover:
- How and why students are using closed captioning
- Perceived benefits of captioning beyond accessibility
- How colleges and universities are handling closed captioning
- Current successes and limitations of captioning in higher ed
- Comparison of captioning practices for face-to-face, online, and institutional marketing content
- How colleges & universities perceive and react to legal requirements for captioning
Dr. Katie Linder
Research Director | Extended Campus, Oregon State University
Lily Bond (Moderator)
Director of Marketing | 3Play Media