Captions for Finance
Updated: March 4, 2021
The finance industry has drastically changed in the last few years.
With our 24/7 access to virtually anything through our smartphones, the financial industry has had to adapt to our generation’s instantaneous appetite for access.
In addition, social media has been a game-changer for how companies are communicating with customers and prospects. Social media has given financial institutions the capability to brand themselves as more than just the place to store and borrow money.
Why are finance companies captioning?
- Accessibility: Financial companies all have a common goal of providing easy access to financial services. For many, accessibility is part of ensuring their services are usable for all customers and potential prospects. Over 5% of the world’s population has some type of hearing loss. As financial companies turn to video as a means to connect with their community, captioning their videos is a critical component of ensuring equal access.
- Compliance: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, places of public accommodation, including finance companies, are required to be accessible to people with disabilities. As legal precedent continues to extend the definition of “places of public accommodation” to the online world, finance organizations should be expanding their accessibility policies to ensure they have a compliant website.
- Internal Training: In addition to public-facing videos, many financial companies use video for internal employee training. Captioning these videos increases accessibility and engagement for all employees.
What are Common Captioning Challenges Finance Companies Face?
- Accuracy – For financial content that discusses stocks and investments, the wrong NASDAQ stock symbol could lead to consumers inadvertently purchasing or selling the wrong stocks. For example, CRNT and CRMT are both stock symbols that sound similar, but if the spoken dialogue states “CRNT”, but CRMT is captioned, consumers are likely to misunderstand the context and potentially make a poor investment decision due to caption inaccuracy.
- Workflow: Finding the right captioning workflow is essential for finance companies, but it can be a challenge to find a solution that meets their needs. Finance companies are publishing videos through a diverse set of platforms, and therefore need a solution that can integrate with their workflows.
- Cost: Finding a solution that is cost-effective without sacrificing accuracy is important for finance companies. The cost of captioning can vary from vendor to vendor, therefore a vendor that can work with you on price as you scale is important.
What Captioning and Transcription Features are Important for Finance?
- Caption Quality: Quality is essential for the accessibility of your content. Poor quality captions can affect the comprehension and meaning of your video. 3Play guarantees a 99% accuracy rate, regardless of difficult content.
- Competitive Pricing: Making sure captioning costs stay within the allotted budget is imperative. At 3Play, we use a mix of speech recognition technology and human editing to provide high-quality captions at a lower price point.
- Integrations with Social Platforms and Video Players: Integrations with popular social platforms for finance companies like Facebook and YouTube help streamline the captioning process for all content creators.
- Live Auto Captioning: As finance organizations continue to hold remote meetings, trainings, and webinars for customers and prospects, live captioning is important to help these companies provide accessible events, as well as engage their audience. At 3Play, we offer an easy-to-use solution for live auto captioning.
- Support: When using 3rd party vendors, a good support system is critical to ensuring you are not alone against unexpected hurdles. At 3Play, you have direct access to an account manager, our robust knowledge base, and our support team.
- Caption Placement: Financial media can oftentimes contain important charts and financial data. If any of this vital data is in the lower third of the screen, it could be obstructed by captions. By using Caption Placement, 3Play will assess the pertinence of text on the lower third of the screen, and move the captions to the top of the screen in the case these would be covered by captions.
The New Normal: A 2021 Snapshot of Video Accessibility in Higher Education
When the pandemic started, many higher education institutions faced unknown territory. The pandemic forced educators and students to learn new technologies, prioritize video as a classroom tool, and interact in virtual environments. Now, almost two years later, video’s role in higher education…
TikTok Accessibility: How to Add Captions and Other Best Practices
With over two billion lifetime downloads and 50 million daily active users in the U.S. alone, TikTok is one of the most popular apps of our time, particularly among Gen Z. However, the platform’s accessibility features leave something to be desired. While…
The Influencer’s Guide to Social Media Accessibility
Since its inception, social media has taken the world by storm. According to Hootsuite, there are more than 4.48 billion social media users worldwide – a little more than half of the global population. As our society relies more on digital technology,…