Captioning and Transcription for Societies and Associations
Updated: June 3, 2019
Societies and associations present unique opportunities for captioning and transcribing content. In many cases, no two society’s needs are exactly the same. For example, some produce large volumes of video all at once while others have a steadier flow.
What do we mean when we say societies and associations? Typically, society or association is a non-profit organization dedicated to advancing one facet of society as a whole, such as an area of study or a social cause. Example of societies and associations include the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE).
Although societies and associations across the world have various needs, almost all of them have a need for captioning.
Below, we explain what is important to societies and associations when they’re looking for captioning, challenges they may face, and vendor features that are important to look for in a captioning solution.
What Is Important to Societies and Associations?
- Accuracy: Often, societies and associations are viewed as the experts in the field or cause they advocate for, and they want to create a professional presence on all fronts, which extends to captions and transcripts. After all, misspelled captions that lack proper grammar aren’t a good look for anyone, especially knowledgeable experts. In addition, many societies and associations have content with specific terminology, and getting it right is critical. That means it’s important for societies and associations to find a captioning solution that provides accurate closed captions and that complies with captioning best practices.
- Legal Compliance: Legal compliance is another concern for societies and associations. These organizations provide public accommodations since information is open to members of the association, members of the public, or both. Because of this, most societies and associations fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are required to provide accurately captioned videos.
- User Engagement: Often, a portion of content from societies and associations is gated or only available to private members. Because of this, societies and associations want their video content to be memorable, to educate, and to provide value to viewers. To do this, they must find ways to make their videos more engaging, which will allow viewers to get more out of the content. There are several video accessibility tools that make videos more engaging, including captions and interactive transcripts.
- Ease of Workflow: Whether societies and associations are creating large libraries of video content at once, or if they’re releasing one video a day, they require flexibility in a captioning vendor. Each organization has unique needs, and they’re looking for a solution that will simplify the captioning workflow.
- Technical Content: As said before, societies and associations are dedicated to furthering a particular area of study or a social cause. Because of this, much of the content they share is technical and specialized. They don’t want captions that misspell complicated industry-specific terms, as that might diminish their legitimacy in their area of expertise. Societies and associations are looking for a captioning solution that can handle unique and technical video content.
- Cheat Sheets and Glossaries: Our editors are skilled, but sometimes additional help is needed for extra-complicated content. 3Play Media gives users the option to upload a glossary of terms to their account to assist our transcript editors while they’re captioning videos. This is particularly useful for societies and associations, who have libraries of specialized terms. This feature helps keep content accurate and consistent.
- Experienced Transcript Editors: 3Play Media transcriptionists are capable of handling complicated and technical content. We have thousands of transcript editors who are able to process a broad range of complex material, many of our transcriptionists have expertise in specialized content.
- Flexible Turnaround: If fast turnaround is a concern, 3Play Media offers 2-business-day, 1-business-day, 8-hour, and 2-hour turnaround. If time is not a concern, the standard turnaround is 4 business days, and extended turnaround is 10 days. If you have unique turnaround requirements, please contact us, and we will work out a schedule that meets your needs.
- Guaranteed Accuracy: With 3Play Media, you can put your fear of inaccurate captions to the side. Our captions and transcripts comply with the ADA and other federal accessibility laws, and we always guarantee at least 99% accuracy, even in cases of poor audio quality, multiple speakers, difficult content, and accents. We work with specialized content all the time, and our measured accuracy rate is 99.6%.
- Integrations: Whether you have large or small volumes of content that need to be captioned, you can rest assured that 3Play Media can help. We provide a variety of integrations with video platforms, many of which offer a seamless captioning experience. With one-click solutions for most major video platforms, you can completely automate your captioning workflow.
- Interactive Transcripts: 3Play Media knows that user engagement is critical when it comes to video. That’s why we offer an interactive transcript, which is a plugin that allows users to control their viewing experience. With the interactive transcript, people can follow an on-page, time-synchronized transcript while they’re watching your videos. They can even search for topics and terms within the video itself and jump to any point in the video with a single click.
- Robust Account System: Our Account System is not only easy to use, but it’s also equipped to handle large volumes of content at a time. Need to perform a mass upload of content that requires captioning? There’s no need to worry, you can rely on 3Play Media to get the job done. If at any time you feel lost, our support team and our vast library of resources are there to help.
What Challenges do Societies and Associations Face?
Which Vendor Features are Important to Societies and Associations?
Societies and Associations Using 3Play Media
Ready to start captioning and transcribing your video content? Get started today with 3Play Media!
Deep Dive on Major Web Accessibility Laws
There are about one billion people, or 15% of the global population, living with some form of disability who directly benefit from accessibility laws. According to The World Bank, individuals with disabilities are more likely to experience fewer opportunities for employment, higher…
Video Translation in a Hybrid World
After an unprecedented global pandemic that led to relying solely on digital communications, many people are slowly making their way back to in-person settings. Even as physical gatherings become more commonplace, however, we’re seeing many virtual components stick around in the form…
How to Handle Live Closed Captioning – and the Challenges
Technological innovation has paved a new way to conduct business, education, and life in general – particularly in a world forced to adapt to virtual substitutes during the pandemic. Most of the time, the technology we use is very helpful. For example,…